In the past, treating gum disease often meant having gum surgery—a lengthy, intensive, uncomfortable procedure with substantial recovery time. Dental science has advanced, however, and the state-of-the-art Chicago dentists at University Dental Professionals can treat your gum disease through laser therapy.
Gum disease, and the importance of treatment
When you have gum disease, your gums develop a bacterial infection that wreaks havoc on your oral health. If gum disease is allowed to progress to the advanced stage, called periodontitis, then your mouth and teeth have sustained permanent damage. Left untreated, this infection can have major long-term ramifications on your oral health such as tooth loss and malnutrition. An undiagnosed, untreated case of gum disease eventually can increase your risk of cardiac disease—as the bacteria and plaque in the mouth are allowed to remain and filter into the bloodstream.
Gum disease can only be resolved by receiving proper diagnosis and treatment from a trained, experienced periodontist in Chicago.
How laser therapy treats gum disease
Laser therapy is performed using our precise dental laser to remove diseased tissue and kill harmful bacteria related to gum disease. The dental laser is used to perform the same task as traditional gum surgery—namely, removing the infected gum tissue. However, laser therapy is much more convenient and comfortable than traditional gum surgery, which involves cutting into the gums with a scalpel and suturing the tissue afterward to facilitate healing.
A dental laser is more accurate and precise and can make incisions mere nanometers deep. This also means that laser therapy retains more of your healthy gum tissue, as compared to traditional gum surgery.
Other benefits of laser therapy to treat gum disease include the following:
- Laser therapy takes less time than gum surgery. This decreases how much time you have to spend at the dentist, which means that you can get on with your day.
- Laser therapy causes minimal discomfort both during and after the procedure, unlike traditional surgical methods.
- Laser therapy involves minimal bleeding because the precise dental laser immediately cauterizes the incisions. This also eliminates the need for sutures. This can be ideal for patients who may have a pre-existing condition involving a blood clotting disorder.
- Laser therapy has significantly shorter recovery time, and therefore, multiple areas can be treated in a single visit.
- Laser therapy kills the bacteria associated with gum disease, which helps prevent further spread of the disease.
Laser therapy is just one component of the way University Dental Professionals treats gum disease. We also offer repetitive therapy, the oral antibiotic Arestin, and the at-home treatment – Perio Protect. The method of treatment that is best for you is chosen based on your current state of oral health.
Laser Gum Therapy in Hyde Park
Have you been diagnosed with gum disease, or are you experiencing initial stages of the infection such as gums that are red, puffy, sore, or bleeding? If so, call University Dental Professionals today at (773) 684-5702 to schedule a consultation and learn more about your treatment options for gum disease.
University Dental Professionals is committed to providing the highest level of comfortable care for patients in the Hyde Park area of Chicago.